Saturday, September 03, 2005

For weeks or maybe even months now I have been keeping my mouth shut for the most part on the NSBR section of 2 Peas. I'd just had enough of the mean-spirited bickering. Tonight there was a big political discussion going on and I jumped in! For anyone who doesn't know, the NSBR is mostly very conservative, with a few moderates, and a few liberals. You can imagine that what I said was not well-received. BTW, you can see the thread here I jumped in at the top of page 3.

On one hand it felt really good to be part of a lively political debate, and I definitely stand behind my statements. On the other hand it felt like a step backward. I've been working so hard to be recognized as a scrapbooker, I don't want that to evaporate because people see me arguing in on a message board. Not everyone is able to seperate someone's work from their opinions. And anyway I'm not sure I want to argue anymore unless I'm in a group where it might actually matter. Often arguing with the peas can be just for arugments sake. I don't want to waste my energy.

So now I'm not sure if I regret it or not - but it's out there. And even though I will try, anyone who's placing bets on me being able to keep my opinions to myself in the future is probably going to be losing money.

5 comments:

Jess said...

Hey now, not all us peas judge others by their political opinions. Feel free to jump in on any ole debate you want to!

suburban mom said...

I just read your post - I thought it was hilarious (and probably true!) Good for you. People are totally dellusional about GWB.

I never go on any of the "hot" threads on nsbr -- totally not worth it. The whole board is kind of annoying me and I annoy myself that I even care.

Steph said...

For what it matters, I never remember who said what after I close the thread- and most of the time as i'm reading the posts...i can't keep up!

Stephanie said...

I don't think that you need to keep your comments to yourself. Your opinions are your opinions. Just about everyone is a scrapper there and have their own ideas that you might think are wrong as well. It doesn't keep them from posting. I don't see why your opinions would affect anything else either way.

Tara said...

I'm with ya. I sometimes peak into them, but never post. Though I know what you mean about not being able to bite your tongue anymore!