Sunday, June 13, 2010

Building Leaders

One of the best parts of my childhood was being a Girl Scout. Under the care of some dedicated women, I grew from and enjoyed the program to its fullest. I knew from the beginning that someday I would be a leader myself, and I have been for a total of five years. Before my daughter was born I had a Junior troop, and when she turned four I started a Daisy troop. Next year I will also have a Cadette troop - I am planning to help my goddaughter get her Silver Award.

Being a Leader has been as wonderful experience for me! Of course there have been ups and downs, but overall it is a very rewarding. I'd like to share some of my experiences here, and some of my ideas for building a great program for girls.



Since it is June now I'll start with an end of year program. In my opinion, it is important to have a big celebration of all the work your girls have done during the year. Extended families should be invited to come and recognize their efforts. A good end of year party has several elements - food, opening exercises, entertainment that showcases a theme of the girls choice that relates to their activities for the year, a point that brings the party back to solemnity, explanation and presentation of awards, recognition of volunteers, and closing. There are are limitless possibilities for planning this event, and it can be casual or formal, and it can be by troop, or by unit. The most important thing is that the girls are very involved in the brainstorming of ideas, planning, and implementing.

My troop has participated in both unit-wide and troop ceremonies. I love having an opportunity to have girls see that they are a part of the greater Girl Scout movement, but for this, I prefer to do this on a troop level. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, etc. are more likely to want to attend a smaller ceremony, where they know they will be seeing a lot of their little girl and the focus will be on her. Also, if your unit is large, there is less time for each troop to participate, and the awards section will be much longer. Depending on the age of your girls and their attention spans, this can make or break the party.

More about specific ideas and what we've done in my next post!

No comments: