Thursday, May 03, 2007

Yesterday I had to do lab reports with the second graders. They had to examine fossils and then write several sentences describing them. Most of them wrote about texture, feel, colors, smell, etc. One kid wrote as his last sentence, "it smells like dicks." I was sitting there grading and came across this and was like COME ON why is this kid doing this?!?! Augh! Kids write obscene stuff all the time to see if we're really reading it, but then they have to be in trouble, deservedly so. So I took it to the teacher and said, "Please tell me this is a misspelling or not what he really means." She was disgusted and took it down to talk to him. She said, I love the way you set up your lab report, you did such a good job, now could you please read it to me? He read it to her as written. She said nicely, what did you mean by that last sentence? He said, "Dicks. Where they sell the basketballs." There is a store near here called Dick's Sporting Goods. The teacher laughed all the way back down the hallway, and then photocopied it and passed it around to the other teachers with the story.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

Bwahahahhahahahaha. That's funny.

Sharon said...

That is priceless! I'd scrap that! :)